Monday, December 6, 2010

Starting point

I've got to start blogging somewhere someday and this is it. I've got a bunch of topics that I can talk about. But first, I should introduce myself. I lean towards a reasonable progressive philosophy. Progressive is the new less confrontational term for a liberal I suppose. I wish to qualify it as 'reasonable' not only because it sounds serious and mischievous at the same time, but also because I hold positions on certain things (like how to raise kids based on my personal upbringing) that might be considered borderline or conflicting in the liberal/progressive philosophy. But those positions are quite rare.

I don't know how often I will post here but I am an avid reader of blogs (political, sports, technology, science, personal) and find them fascinating. When blogging became a fad, I was quite amazed that folks would post their personal thoughts/feelings etc. about topics so openly for people to read. This sounds so naive now in the age of facebook, twitter etc.  I also thought, rather arrogantly, that I wouldn't find anything interesting in anybody's personal thoughts. But that is exactly what editorials in newspapers are and I love reading them, especially on sports and politics. I suppose I was thinking Joe-the-Public can't compete with traditional newspaper contributors. Boy, was I wrong! I began to notice that certain blogs (and blog authors) have a way with words and can convey their thoughts and feelings without reservation and more importantly the topic that they discussing and espousing on actually makes for interesting reading  and makes you curious and thoughtful. Any article/post that makes you think (affirmatively or otherwise) after the fact is an interesting post. 

This is not an attempt at self-evaluation. I am not looking for readers. But certainly anyone is welcome. If this is an outlet for my thoughts and is cathartic then why not? 

No comments:

Post a Comment